Asylum Children’s Ward

West Park Asylum children's ward with wheelchair (Viveca Koh)

This image from West Park Asylum is actually two images stitched together, although they weren’t shot as a panorama at the time.  The first photo included the window, wheelchair and part of the corridor, but it was missing the Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck murals which were set slightly behind me.  After reviewing this initial shot on the back of the camera, I felt that the composition would work better if I stepped back to include the Disney murals.  However, when checking both shots on the computer at home, it seemed to me that neither was right, as the wheelchair was too far away in the second shot, but the first one was less strong without the mural on the right.

Today (some time after the original photos were taken), I had another look and realised I could probably merge the two shots together to get the best from both images.  This was surprisingly easy using masks in Photoshop, and even though both shots were taken from different distances I was pleased to be able to blend them seamlessly into one panoramic shot.  I hope this goes some way towards capturing the poignancy of the children’s ward at the asylum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

11 Responses to “Asylum Children’s Ward”

1. Funky Slug says:

West Park and Hellingly were two places I always regret never actually managing to get to… The atmosphere there just from the photos looks amazing. You’ve certainly been to some fantastic places, and captured some awesome images too.

• Viveca Koh says:

West Park was actually the first UrbEx location I ever went to, and has always been one of my favourites – I consider myself very lucky to have seen it when I did. Hellingly was wonderful too. Thanks for the compliment!

2. Viveca Koh says:

Thanks Felix, and all my other friends who have commented here – sincere apologies for tardy response, have been away from computer for a while. I really appreciate all of your feedback.

3. Amazing photo and very nice work stitching the photos together 🙂

4. Bernie Greene says:

Only discovered your work today and have been looking at a lot of images. This one haunts the most. The very idea of children being kept at such a place is quite horrific and when you add the Disney characters somehow it just gets worse.

Apart from that I notice you are using the “comment love” plugin. I thought I was the only one in the universe that had that:-)

5. […] Asylum Children’s Ward – this wonderful creation from the studio of Viveca Koh is an amazing look into the derelict remains of a now abandoned asylum in the UK.  Viveca’s stunning work in both the vision and execution of this piece are sure to amaze everyone. […]

6. Thank you, I was really happy with the way this one came together 🙂

7. Wow, Viveca, once again you’ve really created a masterpiece! A highly dramatic and emotional piece here, very well seen and executed my good friend! I love how your creations are so much more than a photograph, they really are a glimpse into some pretty important and evocative historical events. Your work is amazing. This image is absolutely exquisite.

8. Edith Levy says:

You did an incredible job in stitching the 2 photos together. The depth of the image is incredible. Love it.
    Edith Levy recently posted..WaitingMy Profile

9. Chris Nitz says:

The empty wheelchair stirs up so many emotions. Very powerful shot.